Saturday, November 9, 2013

Chapter 2: The Evolution of Xenophobia: Cultural Diversity as the Enemy Within




Students who come from a household that speaks a language other than English, require excessive exposure to the English language, specifically to academic English. Many students who struggle academically, fight to understand the main language taught in America, English, because they are not exposed to the academic language enough. Core classes such as English, Math, Science, and History are taught in English in America, which can be pose a disadvantage for students whose first language is different than English. In the past, students who were thought to be language handicapped were sent to segregated schools for remedial instruction when in reality they needed more exposure to academic English. In my line of practice, students need more exposure to academic Spanish, even those who already speak Spanish. They lack the academic language in Spanish either because their household practices speaking more English than Spanish or because whomever is speaking and teaching the student the language hasn’t had much exposure to academic language in Spanish.

Certain races have been targeted as society talks about people who are language handicapped. For instance, the problem “African- American students face is the constant devaluation of their culture both in school and in the larger society. Thus, the styles apparent in African-American youth culture— e.g., dress, music, walk, language— are equated with poor academic performance. The student who identifies with ‘hip-hop’ culture may be regarded as dangerous and / or gang member for whom academic success is not expected” (N.I. 34).

It’s disheartening knowing that students feel devalued, but I can’t walk away from what the reality has come to be. Society doesn’t care if they succeed academically, especially if they look and dress in a manner such as their culture accepts. I personally feel like each individual has his/her own style, they choose the way they want to dress. It may be by mimicking the style of older generations or the mainstream look, whichever it may be; they choose how they present themselves to society. I believe society doesn’t judge these students by their attire, but rather by their skin color. I had a conversation with a few of my African-American students one day in class when the topic about race came up. One student mentioned that it didn’t matter what he knew or didn’t know because his teachers assume he’s stupid just because he’s black. He said he had moved around three different times in the past 5 years attending two different middles school and he has finally stayed at his current place for two years. He said he would move around because the neighborhoods he lived in were badly shaped. I told him I grew up in a town were gang violence occurred on a daily-bases and people being shot to death was part of that. It’s unfortunate to see all the life of young kids go so fast due to their involvement with gangs. Then my students told me that where I grew up could never be as bad as being black and growing up in Compton. One of the students actually said, “you don’t know ghetto ‘til you have lived in Compton and are black.” He continued with, “try telling your white paranoid teacher the last school you went was in Compton; yea see what I mean.” Apparently I had a look of disgust on my face. I couldn’t image anyone judging students based on where they come from, unfortunately it happens daily and their educational success is based on that as well.

I don’t teach English, but I do teach Spanish and I Notice that the lack of exposure to academic language interferes with their ability to grasp concepts in Spanish, especially when I attempt to compare some of the terms used in English to the academic terminology in Spanish. For instance, I was teaching sentence phrases and while doing so, I asked my students to give tell me what pronouns were in English; more than half of the class just sat there speechless. They didn’t know how to identify pronouns when I used the word pronoun so it was difficult for me to teach them a concept in Spanish if they weren’t able to identify the same thing in English. I then asked them what are ways we talk about ourselves without using our name, what are the words we use to replace our name and other peoples name, and that’s when they were able to list off pronouns. I personally feel like it’s not that students can’t learn academic language, it’s mainly that others don’t give them the opportunity to; they judge students based on the way they speak, dress, and where they come from. These students need to be given equal opportunity in school. I understand that the way some of these students grow up does affect their academic success, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t able to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment